ABOUT RCB Athletics, Inc.
While coaching during the 2009 Rockdale County Youth Basketball League, Coach Alex Guilford saw potential talent in several players as they competed during the season. He noted the players and spoke with some of the parents following the games. After the season ended, he met with parents and players from the league to discuss the development of a travel basketball team. The purpose of this team would be to teach basketball skills and fundamentals to aid in the development and potential talent of the players…and on that day RCB was born with 8 players.
During the summer of 2009 and into 2010, the team played in a local league to gain experience and in 2011, RCB entered their first YBOA tournament. During that time, the team grew and added 4 players to their 4th Grade Team. In June of 2011, the team won Runner-Up in their first tournament at the Spartan Shootout in Marietta, GA. The team experienced more growth as assistant coaches (Coach Kendall Wesley and Coach Rickie Clements) were added to the staff along with a few additional players.
From 2011 – 2012, the team placed in the following tournaments:
- YBOA 2012 Spartan Shootout 5th Grade Runner-Up
- YBOA 2012 Marietta Spring Break Shootout 5th Grade Runner-Up
- 2012 YBOA of the Carolinas Upstate Challenge – Runner-Up
As the team grew in the 6th Grade, so did their skills and talent and in 2013, RCB had a huge emotional win at the YBOA Georgia Super Regional in Dalton, GA. This win allowed them to automatically qualify for the YBOA National Tournament in Orlando, FL later that year. For the remainder of 2013, the team placed in the following tournaments:
- YBOA The Rock 6th Grade Winner – Easley, SC
- YBOA March Madness 6th Grade Runner-Up
- Ranked in the Georgia YBOA 6th Grade Top Ten
That year, the team went to their first National Tournament. Although they did not come home with a trophy, it was an awesome experience and the team was locked in to get back there the following year. During the 7th and 8th Grade seasons, the team won the following and Assistant Coaches Sean West, Brian Scott and Awo Thurmon were added to the staff:
- YBOA 2014 Spring Showdown Winner – Birmingham, AL
- YBOA 2015 Super Shootout Champion 8th Grade – Birmingham, AL
- Atlanta Metro Ballers Summer League – Runner Up
- YBOA 2015 Marietta Spring Break Shootout 8th Grade – Runner-Up
- YBOA 2015 Marietta Spring Shootout 8th Grade West Runner-Up
- YBOA Georgia State Championship I 2015 8th Grade – 4th Place
- Ranked in the Georgia YBOA 7th Grade Top Five
- YBOA 2015 National Championships Division I 8th Grade – 5th Place
As RCB entered our 9th Grade Season, Coach Guilford once again had a vision of starting a younger RCB team and a new RCB 5th Grade team was added to the family. In addition, after 5 years with YBOA, the coaching staff felt it was time for the 9th Grade to play on another level and joined the AAU league. During that year, the 5th Grade Team experienced some success at an early age, while the 9th Grade Team continued to flourish. The tournaments won are as follows:
- AAU Top 25 Champions 9th Grade – 2016
- Georgia Cup 9th Grade/15 U Black Division Champions
- GRBL Fall League 9th Grade/16 U Champion
- 9th Grade/15 U Hoop Quest Atlanta Memorial Day Classic – Runner-Up
- King James Basketball Tournament 9th Grade/15 U – 3rd Place Winner
- 5th Grade/11 U Hoop Quest Atlanta Memorial Day Classic – Runner-Up
- YBOA Douglasville Shootout 5th Grade Winner
- Indihoops Battle of the South 6th Grade Runner-Up (2017)
In January of 2016, a few RCB parents discussed the possibility of RCB becoming a non-profit organization to continue to aid in the development of youth in the Conyers/Rockdale County area not only to increase their sports skillset, but to develop a well-rounded athlete. Mrs. Tressler Byrd assisted with the application process due to her experience and we officially become RCB Athletics, Inc. a non-profit organization on March 24, 2016. Through the years, our support staff, which included Ms. Lisa Levett and Dr. Joy Jackson-Guilford has been instrumental in the day to day operations of RCB.
As the older RCB players became more dominant on the AAU team as well as their high school teams, they were being recruited by Adidas and Nike Circuit teams. Therefore, the coaching staff determined it was time to allow the boys to showcase their development with other teams that provide higher levels of exposure. The team was dissolved in February of 2017. We are thankful and grateful to all of the parents that were a part of the RCB Family and we look forward to what God has in store for these young men! The now 6th Grade team has taken the torch and will continue the RCB Legacy as the organization grows.
Coach Guilford will continue to utilize his coaching skills with the RCB 6th Grade Team and assist in the development of other players through basketball clinics. As the goal of RCB Athletics, Inc. is develop the well-rounded athlete, we will begin to provide mentoring, tutoring, and special sessions to prepare student athletes for the next level – furthering their education after high school and becoming model citizens in their community.